[NFB-Oregon-Announce] We need your help!

Carla McQuillan president at nfb-oregon.org
Fri Nov 5 19:52:05 UTC 2021

Dear Affiliate Members:

On September 27, the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) was incorporated into the House version of the Build Back Better Act. For a month we advocated for Congress to maintain the provisions of the ATAA in the larger bill. Unfortunately, we learned late last week, on October 28, that the section of the Build Back Better Act containing the ATAA had been removed.

By the time you receive this, it’s likely the Build Back Better Act will have passed the House, but we still have a chance to get the ATAA back into the bill in the Senate. We need everyone to contact Senator Wyden and urge him to require this provision in the final bill. When you call or email you might say:

“My name is [YOUR NAME] and I live in [CITY], Oregon. I want to urge Senator Wyden to require that the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212) into the Build Back Better Act (H.R. 5376). This bill will have a tremendous impact on the lives of blind Oregonians by improving education, increasing employment opportunities, and increasing overall self-sufficiency. Thank you.”

We suggest a subject like: “Please Maintain the ATAA Provision in the Build Back Better Act”

Please contact both (by email or phone) the chief of staff and the domestic economic policy advisor for Senator Wyden. The number for the Capitol Switchboard is 202-224-3121.

Jeff Michels
Chief of Staff
jeff_michels at wyden.senate.gov

Madison Moskowitz
Domestic Economic Policy Adviser
madison_moskowitz at wyden.senate.gov

Thanks for your prompt attention to this.

Carla McQuillan
President,
National Federation of the
Blind of Oregon