[Southern_Oregon_Chapter] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Southeastern Guide Dogs Modifies Automatic Disqualification Policy

Katie Taylor katiepsych09 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:57:54 UTC 2020

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Marion Gwizdala, President via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2020 10:10 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Southeastern Guide Dogs Modifies Automatic
Disqualification Policy

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

                Sometimes making small changes in the treatment of the blind
seems to take years; at other times, the changes we promote are so blatantly
discriminatory, the public pressure so strong, and the behavior so
egregious, the change literally occurs overnight.

                Through the strong advocacy of the National Federation of
the Blind and the National Association of Guide dog Users, Southeastern
guide Dogs has modified its application form automatically disqualifying
individuals with certain mental health conditions from applying for a guide
dog. Southeastern guide dogs application page now states, "* If applicant is
currently being treated by a mental health professional, we may require
additional contact information for that doctor." [sic] This revised
statement seems to indicate Southeastern no longer automatically
disqualifies an applicant based upon a previous diagnosis of a Mental Health
condition but will now conduct an individualized Assessment as required by
law. Questions still remain about how this obviously hastily prepared policy
will be implemented. Will Southeastern reach out to those they previously
automatically disqualified to admit their mistake and offer them an
opportunity to apply? How will southeastern ask about mental health
histories? What and how much personal information will Southeastern collect
about applicants? How will Southeastern's previous automatic
disqualification policy and the bias it exposes affect the integrity of the
application process for those disclosing a mental health condition?

                There are questions to be answered and the organized blind
will stay vigilant because the stakes are too high! A majority of guide dog
training centers have some very paternalistic policies. Some of these
policies actually compromise the mission of the program. Guide dog training
programs would be well-served by consulting with the National Association of
guide Dog Users. Within our ranks we have the talent and expertise to help
implement policies that respect the dignity of the blind individual while
protecting the interests of the program.

                During our meeting on June 22, Susan Wilburn, Southeastern's
Director of Graduate Admission and Consumer Services, asked how Southeastern
could repair the bridge between us. The bridge connecting any relationship
is built upon mutual trust, respect, openness, transparency, and fairness.
We have that sort of relationship with (in alphabetical order) Freedom guide
dogs, Guide Dog foundation, and the Seeing Eye. Their policies and practices
illustrate why. We also appreciate Guide Dogs of America and guide Dogs of
Texas for reaching out to us. Extending a welcome hand across the divide is
what starts the bridge-building process.

In 2011, the National Association of Guide dog Users created the Guide Dog
consumers' Bill of Rights. This document was enthusiastically and
unanimously endorsed by our membership at our 2011 annual meeting. This
document sets forth how blind people believe we should be treated by guide
dog training programs. We asked training programs to join us by endorsing
this Bill of Rights and no program has chosen to do so. Some programs stated
they agreed philosophically with the Bill of rights but would not endorse
it. Fidelco guide Dogs was the most shocking in their rejection when Julie
Unwinn claimed guide dog users have no input in their policies because we do
not pay for their dogs!
I encourage you to read this document and measure how the training program
from which you received your guide dog adds up. I have a lot more to say on
this topic and Gary Wunder is looking for some Braille Monitor articles from
us on this. If you are concerned, get involved! Your voice will be amplified
through our united action! Here is the link to the Braille Monitor article,
"A Guide Dog Consumers' bill of Rights: Shifting paradigms in the guide dog
movement":

https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm11/
bm1106/bm110609.htm

If this link gets broken through margin or other limitations, you can search
under the title at <nfb.org>. Come join our forward movement!

National Association of Guide Dog Users' Annual Seminar - July 14; 2:00 -
5:00 p.m.
National Association of guide Dog Users Annual Meeting - July 16; 3:00 -
5:00 p.m.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(202) 573-8582
President at NAGDU.ORG
Visit our website <http://nagdu.org/>
Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/nagdu>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Description: Image removed by
sender.

Virus-free.
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com