[Rose_City_Chapter] updated December chapter minutes

Jerry Hathaway jerry.hathaway2 at frontier.com
Wed Jan 13 20:28:42 UTC 2021

Here is an updated December chapter minutes.

NFB of Oregon

Rose City Chapter Meeting

Minutes December 19, 2020

                Kirk called the virtual meeting to order at 10:30 AM with the following members attending Kirk & Cherri Wagner, Ryan McBee, Jerry Hathaway, Joyce Green, Carolyn Brock, Jack & Mary Ann Mendez, and Jerry Garafolo. Joyce Green made a motion to have the November minutes approved as distributed by e-mail and seconded by Mary Ann Mendez and the motion was passed by the members attending the meeting. Joyce Green gave the Treasurer’s report with a beginning balance of $1,146.44 and the ending balance is $1,084.44. Jerry Hathaway made a motion to have the Treasurer’s report be approved as read with Mary Ann Mendez seconding the motion and the motion was passed by the members attending the meeting. Jack paid his dues and join as a member of the chapter in August. Kirk inform the members in regards of the motion that was passed last meeting about requesting the Oregon affiliate state board to approve a donation of $250.00 to National for the Freedom Scientific matching fund and the check is in the mail. Kirk also told us that the State Affiliate board knew that our chapter has made a donation to the National Freedom Scientific fund for $50.00. It is good to remind members of the state board that there are donations that are beneficially to be involved and participate as a chapter. Joyce Green suggested that the state board have a discussion that all the things that the money that goes to National that the state and the chapters send in does for us as members of the NFB. Some new members are not aware of all the things that we are able to accomplish collectively at the national level that members could not do by ourselves. Kirk said that state affiliate has discussed this topic at recent state conventions and it should be talk at each state convention so new members can know how our donations can help blind persons throughout the country by the programs of the National Federation of the Blind. Kirk played the Presidential release for December. Kirk told us that they separate the question part of the Presidential release into a mp3 file and is on the the national website for members to listen to it. Kirk suggest that we continue our discussion in working on increasing awareness of the Newsline program in Oregon at our January meeting. Kirk brought up the subject dealing with the apology letter that was sent to members by President Riccobono. We had a short discussion about the issues brought up in the letter and decided that the chapter does not need to address it at this time and and that we will keep an eye on this to see how it goes and that might be some involvement as a chapter in some point of the process. Kirk told us that he will get a list of person who had been members of our chapter and ask Mary Ann to contact them to see if they want to come back and rejoin membership in the National federation of the Blind. Cherri made a motion that the chapter purchase NFB masks from the Independence Market for its members and the motion was passed by the members attending the meeting. Kirk said that he will order them from National and the chapter will reimburse Kirk for the amount for the masks. Kirk adjourned the meeting and some members stayed on to socialize with each other.

Submitted by:

Jerry Hathaway, Secretary