[Rose_City_Chapter] May chapter minutes revised

Carolyn Brock mmebrock at outlook.com
Mon May 18 20:56:49 UTC 2020

Thanks, Jerry!

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2020, at 13:03, Jerry Hathaway via Rose_City_Chapter <rose_city_chapter at nfb-oregon.org> wrote:

I have revised the May chapter minutes and it is listed below.
Jerry Hathaway, Secretary

NFB of Oregon
, Rose City Chapter
Meeting minutes May 16, 2020

Meeting was called to order at 10:30 AM by Kirk Wagner via conference call. Members that were present are: Carolyn Brock, Jerry Garafolo, Joyce Green, Jerry Hathaway, Ryan McBee, MaryAnn Mendez, and Kirk Wagner. Guest attending our conference call meeting was Jack Mendez. Minutes for the April 2020 meeting were played. Motion was made to approve the minutes and seconded followed by vote by members present to approve. Joyce Green gave the Treasurer's Report  with a beginning balance $1,173.44 and a Ending balance $1,216.44. Motion was made to approve and seconded followed by vote by members present to approve the Treasurer’s report. Kirk gave a brief overview of changes to the chapter email list. The list is now housed on NFBnet.org and is set up like similar lists for other chapters in the organization. The list can be accessed at http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/.
We discussed the use of Zoom for chapter meeting conference calls. Several expressed concern about the complexity of Zoom compared to Free Conference Call which we are using now. Jack Memdez, an experienced user of the platform, offered a number of helpful suggestions. It is believed we can make the switch transfer so those who want to use a call in number and access code can continue to do so. NFB of Oregon has a Zoom account for business and was used during Portland Central Chapter's May meeting. Kirk will reach out to Carla McQuillan and ask her if our chapter can use the account.
Kirk described the tentative plans for NFB of Oregon members and guests to meet at Phoenix Inn and Suites in Eugene for virtual portions of the 2020 NFB National Convention. The event would begin the afternoon of Thursday July 16 and finish Saturday evening July 18. Food and hotel costs would be covered by the affiliate and transportation would not be covered. It is uncertain of our organization would be allowed to have a meeting in Lane County at that time. Carla McQuillan believes we could work with a limit of 25 if need be and More information will be coming from the Affiliate. Jerry Hathaway pointed out Saturday, July 18 conflicts with Rose City Chapter meeting that month. Presidential Release #494, dated May 1, 2020 was played. MaryAnn asked about the affiliate's gift card raffle. Kirk said Oregon Department of Justice regulates gambling and raffles in our state. He and First Vice President Kristen Jocums had been corresponding with a representative there to determine what we can and cannot do. Ticket sales must be from within Oregon so We will not be able to sell raffle tickets on the NFB of Oregon website as was hoped. We are working to determine what can be done, but No decision has been reached at this time. Ryan McBee thanked everyone for joining the meeting today. Kirk echoed his thankfulness for members attending the meeting and added we have the most loyal members anywhere. Meeting adjourned at 12:10 PM

Respectfully submitted by:
Kirk Wagner, President

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Rose_City_Chapter:
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb-oregon.org%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Frose_city_chapter_nfb-oregon.org%2Fmmebrock%2540outlook.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7C7776f96db4e7462115a308d7fb667a47%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637254289874440199&sdata=sntxFDLzgpdvpr9QK7lngBiICttDrCiOGA23gFEGcbo%3D&reserved=0