[NFB-Oregon-Announce] Request for Clarification

president at nfb-oregon.org president at nfb-oregon.org
Tue Dec 22 18:07:53 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe.

Recently, President Riccobono sent out an open letter of apology.  I have had several members inquire about the catalyst for sending this out to the membership.  Here is what I know and can share with you.

There were several Face Book postings beginning the first weekend in December, that centered around sexual misconduct in the blindness community: Specifically at NFB events and our Training Centers.  While the Leadership is aware of such concerns, and has investigated many of them through our Code of Conduct process, there were also many postings that misrepresented the facts and/or  presented only part of the story.

I do not mean to minimize the long lasting, painful effects that survivors of abuse have suffered.  President Riccobono has, and continues to work towards making our organization a safe space for everyone.  That was the purpose for implementing the Code of Conduct in 2018.  I believe we are moving in the right direction.  I also believe that we need to work together to ensure that we continue to move forward on this.  President Riccobono is listening to the concerns, and has pledged to follow some of the recommendations made by those who have been involved in this campaign.  The topic is on the table. It is our responsibility to join together for the improvement of our processes.  Tearing down the organization and its leaders does nothing to move the conversation forward.

I have known Mark Riccobono since he was in his early 20’s.  I have always found him to be respectful of others, and willing to take responsibility for things within his sphere of influence.  I believe his Open Letter of Apology is a perfect example of this.  He has recognized that, although we implemented the Code of Conduct in 2018, and we have reviewed and revised it to better protect our members, staff, and volunteers, we know that there is more to be done.  We encourage anyone who has suffered abuse or been the victim of misconduct within our organization, to come forward and report it to someone who can ensure it will be handled quickly and effectively.  Some of the stories circulated on social media carried the implication that misconduct was brought forward, and the leadership “Swept it under the rug”, when in fact, there were times in which employees were terminated for their behaviors; Members whose membership was suspended or revoked; and leaders who were removed from their positions, as a result of our Code of Conduct investigations.

As a member of our National Board of Directors, I endorsed the Open Letter of Apology, and I am prepared to defend it and our President. Some are calling for his resignation, along with Pam Allen, our First Vice President and Chair of the Board.  I fail to see how this would make our organization stronger.  I can think of no one more dedicated to this organization than our President, and I feel the same about Pam Allen.

If you have further concerns, please feel free to contact me.  Because of our intent to keep our Code of Conduct investigations confidential, I am not at liberty to provide names or similar details, but will do my best to answer any questions you might have.

Here’s wishing you and those you love a safe and happy Holiday Season!

Sincerely,

Carla McQuillan
President,
National Federation of the