[Rose_City_Chapter] corrected September chapter minutes

Jerry Hathaway gryphon007 at frontier.com
Sun Oct 29 22:22:27 UTC 2023

I am pasting the minutes from our September chapter meeting with corrections suggested by Joy Relton below:

NFB of Oregon Rose City Chapter
meeting minutes September 16,2023

Kirk called the meeting to order at 10:30 AM. Members attending meeting were: Kirk Wagner, Carolyn Broch, Joy Relton, and Tracy Boyd. Guests attending the meeting were: Lindsay Dorm, Celyn Brown, and Alice Campbell. We are in our new meeting location in downtown Portland called the Capitol Cafe.  We started with an icebreaker about what state we were born in and an interesting fact about that state.  Celyn Brown recorded the meeting since Jerry Hathaway was not able to join us this meeting.  The August minutes were tabled to be read at the October meeting.  The motion was made by Celyn Brown and the motion was seconded and the motion was approved by members attending the meeting. Joy Relton the treasurer explained she is moving to Hillsboro and would like the treasurers report to be table until October’s meeting.  She will make sure her address is changed for the bank account.  Joy also took Alice Campbell’s dues for the2024 year.  It was moved and seconded the treasurers report be tabled and given at the October’s meeting and the motion was approved by members attending the meeting.  We then discussed the importance of paying dues and the differences between the local chapter and the state constitution.  If you want to vote then you need to be a due paying member.  Elections are in November every year for the Rose City Chapter.  Joy would like the dues collected before the November meeting.  We then talked about how to pay your chapter dues.  $5 by card, cash or check.  If paying by card Tracy motioned the dues be increased by $.50 cents for a total of $5.50 if paying online to cover the credit card processing fee.  The motion was seconded and approved by members attending the meeting. Tracy asked if she could be the intake coordinator for the Rose City Chapter which started the discussion about membership growth.  Joy told us that when she was in the Virginia affiliate that they had set up a committee to contact people from the lists from National office of persons who received white canes and slates and stylus to help build up membership in their chapters.  Tracy explained she would like to be the intake coordinator for the Rose City chapter, not the state affiliate.  She explained what an intake coordinator is. She would bring people to the chapter, represent the chapter, talk about the chapter.  She would be the main contact talking about where we meet, how often we meet, and answer any additional questions the person might have.  She would also take down their information.  Kirk says it sounds like a good idea. Tracy volunteers to call people and invite them to our chapter meetings.  She spoke with Carla, the state president, about this intake coordinator and she gave her okay. We then discussed the meeting location and how much we like the central location, the friendliness of the café staff, and there are other meetings rooms available which are bigger which will be able to accommodate our chapter as we grow. The next topic was about the different drawings the chapter has.  One of the drawings is the
50 /50 raffle. We discussed having the correct change to participate in the 50/50 raffle.  Joy said she doesn’t want to take money during the chapter meeting.  Celyn suggested taking money prior to the meeting and then do the drawing when the meeting concludes.  Tracy suggested having a break in the middle of the meeting to give people opportunity to participate in the 50/50 raffle.  We then talked about whether you need to be present in order to win the 50/50 raffle and possibly opening this particular raffle up to state members.  Joy said that she would find out how to collect and pay the 50-50 money electronically so that members not present could participate. The second drawing is the “door prize” drawing.  One of the requirements for being eligible for the “door prize” drawing is you need to be on time, after much discussion as to whether you needed to be present or not for the “door prize” drawing.  It was decided being present is definitely a requirement.  Also, if there were not any donations for the door prize then there would not be a drawing.  It was also tossed around that Ryan McBee our vice president of the Rose City chapter, would be the keeper of the door prizes and bring one of them with him to the meetings every month. We then talked about state convention that will be held October 6-8, 2023.  We talked about which division meetings will be occurring.  Joy is going to try to start up a senior division.  We also talked about the student division and the parents’ division.  Their will not be food offered at the auction on Friday following the icebreaker at convention.  We then discussed the Business enterprise program and if there is a division for the state affiliate and the in and outs of the Business enterprise program.  Kirk adjourned the meeting.

Minutes taken by: Celyn Brown
Submitted by:
Jerry Hathaway, Secretary

Sent from Mail for Windows