National Federation of the Blind of Oregon
College Scholarship Program
The National Federation of the Blind of Oregon will award up to five scholarships to qualified applicants in 2017. There may be two scholarships awarded in the amount of $2,000; two in the amount of $3,000; and one in the amount of $5,000. The Len Hannon Scholarship, (named for a former leader in the Oregon State Legislature and friend of the National Federation of the Blind of Oregon) may be awarded to an individual who has been a winner in the past and continues to make a difference in the lives of blind people. The Len Hannon Scholarship, if awarded, may be for any of the monetary denominations deemed appropriate by the Scholarship Committee.
Each year at its State convention in the fall, the NFB of Oregon awards several scholarships to recognize achievement by blind scholars. All applicants for these scholarships must be:
- VisionLegally blind in both eyes
- ResidencyMust be attending an institution of higher learning within the state of Oregon
- Course of StudyMust be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time postsecondary course of study in a degree program at an Oregon state institution in the current scholarship year, pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at an Oregon State institution in the current scholastic year, except that one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time.
- NFB of Oregon ParticipationMust participate in the entire NFB of Oregon state convention and in all scheduled scholarship program activities.
- Show More
In addition to a scholarship, each winner will be brought to the NFB of Oregon State Convention at NFB of Oregon expense, providing an excellent opportunity for high level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations.
- Completed National Federation of the Blind of Oregon Scholarship Application formDownload the NFB of Oregon 2017 Scholarship application. Deadline is June 30, 2017.
- Letters of recommendationTwo letters of recommendation from individuals that describe academic ability, leadership skills and/or community involvement.
- Transcripts Transcript from the institution the applicant is attending and transcripts from all other postsecondary institutions attended. If the applicant has attended less than one year of higher education, provide high school transcript. (Note: Some schools prefer to send transcripts directly to scholarship programs. We accept transcripts in print or via e-mail from institutions.)
- University or college enterence examination results This requirement only applies to high school seniors. Attach a photocopy of your score reports for all standardized tests taken for college admission, (ACT, SAT, or other).
- Certification of legal blindness Provide a statement from a qualified professional that certifies the applicant meets he federal definition of legally blind. Certifying Authority: The NFB form is preferred; alternately submit a signed statement on business letterhead. Either one must be completed by a trained certifying authority, such as an optician, optometrist, ophthalmologist, physician; itinerant teacher of the blind, rehabilitation counselor, or other professional in work with the blind; or the president of a local chapter or state affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind.
- Show More
NFB of Oregon 2016 Scholarship application deadline was extended through September 15, 2016. The application is no longer available.
To recognize achievement by blind scholars, the National Federation of the Blind annually offers blind college students in the United States and Puerto Rico the opportunity to win one of thirty national scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000.
Full details of the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship program.
(link will open in a new browser window).
of Oregon. Since 1971, an affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind.
State President Carla McQuillan.
Affiliate office telephone, 541-653-9153.
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 6:30 AM to 6:30 PM, pacific time.
Send Carla an email
© 1971 - 2017 National Federation of the Blind of Oregon. All rights reserved.